BASTI - बस्ती
Enemy of Diseases
Basti is the third but the most important treatment among the five detoxifying panchakarmas. It helps in clearing the lower part of the GI tract & is the best remedial for vata dosha & Half treatment of any diseases in body. Basti is considered by physicians to be the half of entire therapeutics. Some physicians even consider it as whole of the therapeutics.
Basti is indicated during an overabundance of diseases, as Basti is capable of eliminating all the three doshas. Basti is a route of medicine administration and hence could also be prescribed in any illness by altering the contents of the Basti drug.
- Before the application of Basti, a simple light massage is carried out on Whole body or at stomach, abdomen, groin and buttocks regions followed by a light fomentation by swedan procedure.
- The Patient is made to lie down on the table in the left lateral position, with his left leg placed straight and the right leg is flexed at the hip and knee and is drawn up to the chest.
- Body is draped and the buttock and the anal region are exposed. This is the ideal position for the administration of the Basti.
- Then the specially prepared basti medicine is introduced through the anus of the patient with the help of basti yantra. This is absolutely painless procedure.
- Basti is given when the food taken on earlier day is digested and patient is not too hungry. Oil Basti is given after meal.
- After Basti buttocks are clapped, palms and sole are massaged, patient’s leg is lifted from his feet so that the Basti can retain for longer duration.
Dos and don’ts in Basti Panchakarma:-
- Suggested diet and behavioral restrictions should be followed after the Basti.
- For all purposes use only boiled and warm water. Light diet in the form of milk, soup is advisable.
- Further the Patient is advised to avoid the following activities:-
- During Basti treatment body should be protected from any type of exertion as it may adversely affect the absorption of Basti medicines.
- Intake of ill-timed and unwholesome food leads to indigestion that may disturb the digestion of Basti medicine or even this can suppress digestive power so that Basti may not affect with proper potency.
- Day time sleep in itself causes pitta-Kapha vitiation; anger, sun exposure etc. causes pitta vitiation.
- The things that need to be avoided during Panchakarma includes excessive sitting, standing, speaking and riding, sexual intercourse, suppression of natural urges, cooling regimens, exposure to sun, grief, anger and intake of untimely and unwholesome food.
He is advised special diet during the course of basti.
Basti Course Duration:-
1. Karma Basti-
The course of karma Basti includes 30 administrations of the Basti treatment. And this course is the combination of both Niruha as well as Anuvasana Basti
2. Kala Basti-
Kala Basti refers to 16 days course of the combination of Niruha Basti as well as Anuvasana Basti.
3. Yoga Basti-
Administering the combination of Niruha and Anuvasana Basti regularly for 8 days is known by the name Yoga Basti.
As per disease prognosis, this Basti courses need to repeat as per conditions.
Mode of action of Basti:-
- Basti, when given properly, passes through the rectum and reaches the colon, where the maximum possible limit is up to cecum since the ileocecal valve prevents further movement.
- Vata is responsible for separation and combination of stool, urine, pitta etc. When it gets highly aggravated there is no remedy other than Basti for its alleviation.
- Its cleansing actions occur within the lower part of the gut. Where vital organs like liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys are situated. Thus, the effect of cleansing is more distinct for these organs, together with giving them nourishment and strength.
- It acts primarily within the colon and rectum which features a governing function of excretion instead of absorption of nutrients. Thus, Basti hardly changes the method of digestion; on the contrary, it supports the body’s natural action of excretion.
- Rectum has rich blood and lymph supply; drugs can cross the rectal mucosa like other lipid membranes. The portion absorbed from the upper rectal mucosa is carried by the superior hemorrhoidal vein into portal circulation. Whereas that absorbed from the lower rectum enters directly into systemic circulation through middle and inferior hemorrhoidal
veins. Thus basti medicines are absorbed into systemic circulation. The drug, which are absorbed through middle and inferior hemorrhoid vein, bypass liver hence degradation of drug by liver is minimized, thus basti acts fast
- A tree gets destroyed by cutting its roots, similarly, the illnesses are removed by the use of Basti.
- Even as a tree watered at the foundation changes old blue leaves into beautiful with tender leaves and through the course of your time grows to provide flowers and fruits, similar changes occur in body by the administration of unctuous form of medicated Basti.
- Basti directly oleates the colon and after absorption affects the whole body by properties like unctuousness, heaviness, and heat. As the site of production of vata is treated, no new vata formation occurs within the body even proper function of Agni (digestive strength) relies upon the normal activity of vata because it includes a vital function of igniting the digestive fire.
- In patients suffering by neurological disorders (vata-vyadhi), the efficacy of Sneha Basti is clinically proved certainly.
- Lightness of the body, Increase in appetite,
- Oleation of the GI in special & whole body in general, Diseases Due To the Vitiation of Vata Dosha
- Bone – Joint – Neurological Disorder
- Pains & aches in the joints & muscles
- Digestive Disorders
- Urine Obstruction
- Worm Infestation, Diarrhea
- Distension of Abdomen
- Numbness In The Body Parts
- Pain/Stiffness In The Body
- Headache, Fever
- Asthma, Chronic Cough
- Psychological Illness
- Increased Warmth In The Body
- Liver Diseases
- Spleen Diseases
- Heart Diseases
- Kidney Diseases
- Skin Disease
- Eye Problems
- Kidney Stones
- Gall Stones
- Depletion Of Sperms
- PCOD, PCOS
- Weight loss
- Menstrual Problems
- Hair Problems
- Sexual Debility
- Gynocological problems
Along with Basti therapy Raktamokshan, Vaman, Virechana, Shirodhara, Lepan treatments are useful in fastening the disease recovery.
Book Your Appointment For
• VAMAN • VIRECHAN • BASTI • NASYA
• RAKTAMOKSHAN • UTTAR BASTI
• SHIRODHARA • SHIRO BASTI • NETRA TARPAN • MANYA BASTI • HRUD BASTI
• KATI BASTI • JANU BASTI
• PIND SWEDA • PATRA POTTALI SWEDA
• UDVARTAN • AGNIKARMA • KSHAR KARMA • LEPA KARMA
Vedacare is one of trusted Ayurvedic Clinic in Aundh Pune offers best Ayurvedic Treatment in Aundh Pune. Consult best Ayurvedic Doctor in Aundh Pune at vedacare.
020 4860 4039
Office No-1, First Floor, Sahil Apartment, Parihar Chowk, ITI Road, Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra-411007